Love ya COVID vaccine! XOXO Lydia

Dear Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine,

Wow! What a crazy 2-ish years it has been since you first entered the world. I remember when I first met you on January 4, 2021, in the basement of Riley Hospital for Children. There were rumors between myself and my colleagues that we might be some of the first to meet you because we qualified as healthcare workers, but we weren’t entirely sure. It was torturous waiting for the email to come that said either “yay” or “nay,” but we finally got the go-ahead. I remember posting a picture of my COVID card to my Instagram story and feeling so proud and so lucky about everything. However, I know everyone did not share these same positive feelings.

I’m not sure if it was ignorance on my part, but when I heard that you, a COVID-19 vaccine, had been developed against a pandemic that was causing thousands of people to die, there was no question in my mind on if I should or should not meet you. Actually, there wasn’t even a question. It was only a statement. It was that I was going to meet you. Now, of course, I am well aware that anti-vaccinators exist; however, I did not think there was going to be this much opposition. First, it started with how rapidly you came to market. People said that something like you could not be developed so quickly, but they just didn’t understand your backstory. Because, like, hello! There has been past research on coronaviruses and mRNA technology, so, and I apologize for saying this, you weren’t exactly “new new” to the research community. Then, because of this, you received FDA Emergency Use Authorization which is a milestone in and of itself. Also, the people who claim that they’re healthy so they don’t need you are a bit bonkers because again it’s about the greater good! We love herd immunity and protecting those who are immunocompromised or elderly or anything else! Sorry, I am getting myself worked up. I just love vaccines like you and what they can do to help with disease management in populations. I mean, from December 11, 2020, to December 11, 2022, there were 4.3 BILLION of you and your homies shipped out to 181 countries. That is just insane. Then, to factor in your other friends at places like Moderna, the numbers are just astronomical. It really does make me so happy that I was in one of the first rounds of COVID vaccines. 

Over the past couple of years, I have gotten a boost or two from you, and as always it was great seeing you again. We did have a slight mishap in August last year when I actually had COVID, but I don’t blame you (honestly, I was a bit surprised I didn’t get it earlier). Anyway, thanks so much for everything. I am not sure if I will see you again, I guess it depends on the big bosses at the CDC and elsewhere, but if we do need to meet again, I can’t wait. Keep doing your thing, COVID vaccine! We love ya.

- Lydia :-)


https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-takes-key-action-fight-against-covid-19-issuing-emergency-use-authorization-first-covid-19

https://www.pfizer.com/science/coronavirus/vaccine/working-to-reach-everyone-everywhere

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overturning of Roe v Wade

US Quality of Healthcare - Preventable Medical Errors