Public Perspective of Pharmacy

     One thing that I find interesting is the public perspective of pharmacy. Specifically, how the general public views big pharmacy companies. I think it is common to come across an opinion talking about how corrupt big pharma is. Or how selfish the pharmacy business can be. These opinions too are spread everywhere instantaneously these days. Whether it is on the news or on Twitter, I’ve seen these views of pharmacy spread all over. Now, I am not saying that the business side of pharmacy is perfect and free of selfishness and flaws. I also think that pharmacists as individuals have a generally good reputation with the public. However, I do not think that many with a platform give the audience the whole picture when it comes to big pharma. 
     I am not going to go into too much detail about the ins and outs of the business aspect. Honestly, I do not believe I know enough to actually do that. I may not even know enough to accurately describe my points in this blog. But I think that the consistent criticizing of pharmacy many times is not always valid. I cannot count how many times when working as a technician I have had to listen to patients go on rants about big pharma. They would sound off about how it is all a scam and just a bunch of big wigs trying to rob the general public. I agree that there are definitely selfish powers that come into play, like many PBMs. But I do not think that the general public knows enough about what goes into the production of a single medication. Or all the red tape that surrounds each medication. I believe that only one out of every ten drugs that go to clinical trials make through. Each of those trials costs millions of dollars to conduct. Companies have ten trials costing millions each and only one statistically will get approved. The money from the failed drugs has to be made up. If they didn’t then production of medications would come to a halt. It may be a sad reality, but it is a business and they have to capitalize on a successful drug.
     I think this is one major and relatively simple point that is never shared with the public. Or at least, not often enough. Instead they are lead to believe that pricing is simply there to rob them of every cent possible. Combine this with the general distrust in the healthcare system, the recent chaos surrounding the COVID vaccines, and you have a nation that is rapidly developing disdain for the realm of healthcare. Again, I am not saying everyone in charger are a bunch of saints. I am just pointing out that many often cherry pick the details they decide to share with others. I have tried to think of what possibly could be done to try and sway the trend in the other direction. The fact is I don’t know what can or should be done. I just know that there are many extremely gifted and hard working individuals who want to help others who work for big pharma. It is sad though that whenever they may say who they work for that people may view them in a different light than the one they deserve.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love ya COVID vaccine! XOXO Lydia

Overturning of Roe v Wade

US Quality of Healthcare - Preventable Medical Errors